This unit of competency focuses on the systematic approach to organising and delivering instructional sessions aimed at imparting specific work skills. Initially, it entails the thorough preparation phase where an instructor gathers pertinent information regarding the learners’ characteristics and needs, ensuring a safe and conducive learning environment. The preparation also includes devising a straightforward session plan that outlines the instructional and demonstration objectives, selecting and arranging the necessary support materials for their relevance and appropriateness to the learning objectives, and informing learners about the upcoming instructional activities. This foundational stage is crucial for setting the stage for effective skill transfer, highlighting the importance of safety, learner engagement, and the alignment of instructional materials with the learning goals.
The execution phase encompasses the actual conduct of instruction and demonstration, where interactive engagement with learners is key to fostering a supportive learning atmosphere. Instructors are tasked with briefing learners on work health and safety (WHS) protocols, adhering to the session plan to cover all learning objectives, and employing various facilitation, coaching, and communication techniques to optimise learning, demonstrate work skills, and adapt to learners’ needs. This phase also includes providing learners with ample opportunities to practise the new skills, continuously assessing their performance through observation and questioning, and offering constructive feedback to facilitate progress. Post-instruction, the focus shifts to evaluating the training’s effectiveness through learner feedback, reflecting on the instructor’s practice for continual improvement, and appropriately maintaining and securing learner records, emphasising the cyclical nature of instructional quality enhancement and adherence to organisational and legal standards.
What Will You Learn?
- 📚 Identify and understand learner characteristics and learning needs.
- 🔒 Ensure a safe and conducive learning environment for learning activities.
- 📝 Develop a clear and concise session plan targeting specific work skill instruction and demonstration objectives.
- 🕵️♂️ Assess and select support materials for their relevance and suitability to the learning objectives.
- 🛠️ Organise and provide access to necessary physical support materials for effective instruction and demonstration.
- 📢 Effectively communicate with learners about upcoming work skill instruction sessions.
- 💡 Apply facilitation and coaching techniques to enhance learner engagement and understanding.
- 🤝 Adjust instructional approaches to accommodate individual learner needs and foster a positive professional relationship.
- ✅ Monitor and evaluate learner acquisition of new skills and knowledge through observation and questioning.
- 🔄 Collect and reflect on feedback from learners and own instructional practices to identify areas for improvement.
Facilitating vocational training