For any organisation, large or small, success or failure depends upon the skills of the employees. Employee skills need to be established, developed, nurtured and expanded upon to meet the changing needs of both the organisation and its customers. This principle is one of the foundation stones upon which the entire profession of human resource management (HRM or just HR) is built. All too often, business and organisational funding for the development of employee skills is a poor cousin to capital purchases or purchase and maintenance of machinery or inventory. As a result, HR, training or staff development managers have had to become more selective and targeted in their approach to directing resources for the training of employees.
This unit focuses on executing a comprehensive training needs analysis within an organisation. It starts with establishing effective communication with key staff to understand organisational goals and workforce development preferences. A detailed plan for conducting the analysis is then developed, outlining the necessary steps, resources, and timelines while adhering to organisational and legal requirements. The process involves collecting and analysing data on current and future job roles, skills, and knowledge gaps. Based on this analysis, recommendations are made to address the identified training needs. The draft report is presented to and refined with key staff feedback, finalised, and distributed. The unit concludes with a review of the analysis process and outcomes, seeking feedback for continuous improvement.
What Will You Learn?
- 🗣️ Utilise communication strategies with key staff to kick-start a focused training needs analysis in line with organisational aims.
- 📝 Craft a succinct plan detailing necessary steps, resources, and timelines, ensuring compliance with organisational and legal standards.
- 🔍 Gather and review industry and role-specific data to identify existing and future skill requirements.
- 📊 Compare current and future training needs with staff competencies to formulate strategic workforce development plans.
- 🔄 Finalise and share the training needs report, incorporating feedback for continuous improvement and process enhancement.